VuStuff is an annual conference on the intersections between technology and scholarly communication. It takes place every Fall at Villanova University's Falvey Memorial Library.
VuStuff I focused on technological projects at Falvey, including VuFind, the Digital Library, the Community Bibliography, in-house e-publishing and more. It also featured the first ever Vuie Award, presented to UPenn's Shawn Martin.
VuStuff II focused on projects from the regional community related to access and openness, including presentations on VuFind and the "Catholic Portal", Preservation of Archival Mining Maps, Regional Mass Digitization Programs, and the Digitization of the Pittsburgh Catholic.
This year's conference, VuStuff III, will seek presentations from regional librarians on technology and scholarly communication in their respective libraries. We hope to foster an ongoing conversation among regional libraries, in order to further the development of technology in service of scholarly communication.
The conference grew out of the ad-hoc scholarly communication group which Mr. Martin brought together.
Related links and documents:
- Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities (October 22, 2003) [PDF]
- Brown, Laura, Rebecca Griffiths, and Matthew Rascoff. "University Publishing in a Digital Age." Ithaka. (July 26, 2007) [PDF]
- Cyberinfrastructure Vision for 21st Century Discovery. National Science Foundation Cyberinfrastructure Council (March 2007) [PDF]
- Hahn, Karla. Research Library Publishing Services: New Options for University Publishing. Association of Research Libraries. (March 2008)
- Harvard Open-Access Policies. Office for Scholarly Communication, Harvard University Library.
- King, C. Judson, et al. Scholarly Communication: Academic Values and Sustainable Models. Center for Studies in Higher Education, University of California, Berkeley. (July 27, 2006) [PDF]
- Open Doors and Open Minds: What faculty authors can do to ensure open access to their work through their institution. A SPARC / Science Commons White Paper. (April 2008) [PDF]
- Our Cultural Commonwealth: The report of the American Council of Learned Societies Commission on Cyberinfrastructure for the Humanities and the Social Sciences. American Council of Learned Societies. (2006) [PDF]
- Principles for Emerging Systems of Scholarly Publishing. Association of Research Libraries. (June 6, 2000) [PDF]
- Wallace, K. A. “Marketing Ideas: Reshaping Academic Publishing in a Digital World.” Science Progress. (April 10, 2008)